Spring has sprung! With snowy days behind us, we finally have warm weather and the bloom of beautiful flowers to look forward to. We all love spring flowers; whether its tulips in bouquets or daffodils dotting around the porch, flowers bring happiness. But not everyone is agreeable with these pretty plants– that’s right, it’s your pup. Although spring flowers seem harmless, many are poisonous upon ingestion. If your dog becomes curious to consume one of your begonias, it could mean a trip to the emergency room. Some dogs will just eat anything! How can you avoid this? We’ve compiled a list of plants that are toxic to your furry friend, so you can be sure to keep him away from danger by keeping them out of his reach. If you’re like us, we know that you love your flora, but you love Fido more. Read on for seven poisonous plants to keep an eye out for this spring…
If you’re thinking of planting tulips outside– beware! Any dog that is prone to digging could uproot your tulips and ingest the bulbs, the most toxic part of the tulip. If your dog consumes a bulb, they may experience an upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Daffodils also hold much of their toxicity in their bulb, containing alkaloids that are poisonous to pups. Signs that your dog has ingested a daffodil bulb are akin to eating a tulip bulb, but consuming a large amount can lead to irregular heartbeats, low blood pressure, and convulsions.
These beautiful flowers unfortunately can be quite toxic to dogs and should be kept away from them. A dog that has eaten a daisy will experience everything from skin rashes to vomiting and diarrhea. This is true for the majority of daisies; however, gerber daisies in particular are not toxic at all.
If your dog can get to the tuber or stem of a begonia, it may need to be left out of your garden. The toxins in the tuber and stem cause burning of the mouth, excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing in dogs.
While gorgeous in appearance, these flowers can become a serious issue if ingested by your pup. Signs that your dog has eaten a hyacinth plant include vomiting, depression, and tremors.
This outdoor plant contains grayanotoxins, which can cause vomiting, seizures, and cardiac arrest in your pet. Best keep your furry friend far away from these!
CAUTION: Fatal Flowers
These flowers should NEVER be near your dog! While all the plants on this list are toxic, the following flowers have been known to cause death: Azalea, Cyclamen, Delphinium, Dumb Cane, Foxglove, Lantana, Larkspur, Mistletoe, Rhododendron, Oleander, Sago Palm.
If you think your pup has ingested a toxic flower like the ones we have listed above, you should immediately call your veterinarian to seek treatment as quickly as possible. You also have the option to call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. Stay safe out there, furriends, and enjoy your spring!