I don’t know what I’d do without our rescue dog, Mr. Bear!
I know my fellow dog lovers get that – Our dogs are part of our family! What better way to celebrate Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month than to bring a new furry family member into your home. Adopt a rescue dog! Did you know – On average there’s said to be 3-4 million pets a year waiting in shelters for homes? Sadly they never find their “furever” homes and are euthanized? That number is mind blowing.
Do you have room in your heart and home to add a rescue dog to your family? Check out a local shelter or look at the thousands posted online. If you’re looking for a specific breed, don’t rule out rescuing, approximately 25% of shelter dogs are purebred. Remember that older dogs make excellent pets too!
There are many other ways you can celebrate Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month, if you are not in a position right now to bring a new dog into your life. It’s not a decision to take lightly or rush into. Current financial and emotional conditions of the family and other pets in the home should be considered. Everyone must be up for the tasks of every day care, training and exercise.
How else can we help?
- Help spread awareness of Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month and rescue dogs thru social media. You may not be looking now – but a friend could see your Facebook post of a pooch and find the love of their life online!
- Donate to a local shelter. Volunteer your time cleaning and caring for the animals. Donate new or gently used pet items such as bowls, leashes, collars, beds and toys. Food and treats are also a welcome donation. Give them a call and see how you can help.
- Spay or neuter your pets. Be a responsible dog owner.
- ID your dog with a tag and microchip. Many lost dogs end up in shelters and it’s said only 15-20% are ever reunited with their loved ones.
- Become a foster dog family. Big paws up for these amazing people that love and care for dogs waiting for their forever homes.
In honor of Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month, Bark at the Moon Natural Turkey Dog Treats and Mr. Bear are sharing our grain free turkey dog treats with a local dog shelter. Join us in making a difference – One paw at a time!